1) Answer any THREE of the nine questions listed below. You may aces three questions from the same affiliate or three questions from two altered chapters. It's entirely up to you. These three posts allegation acquire a minimum of 100 words each. Anything beneath will aftereffect in a brand of ZERO after the achievability of a composition post.
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SUBMIT 3 SEPARATE POSTS: DO NOT ANSWER MORE THAN ONE QUESTION IN A SINGLE POST.
Chapter 4: Epicurus
1. Although Epicurus is a hedonist, he is acutely adjoin to barnyard hedonism. Can you acquisition added arguments for or adjoin the approach of vulgar hedonism? Is it not awfully “ judgmental” for us to affirmation that some pleasures are “higher” or “ lower” than others? Shouldn’t we aloof tolerate and acquire differences of appraisal in this area? Or does it accomplish more faculty to altercate that there is a accustomed bureaucracy of pleasures and pains?
2. Epicurus believes that abhorrence of all-powerful avengement is the greatest source of abhorrence and anxiety. Do you accede with this assessment? Why or why not?
3. Epicurus argues that the best and happiest way of activity is one in which one seeks to amuse on the best basic, accustomed and all-important desires. Do you accede that all-embracing such a activity of artlessness (no honor, fame, luxury or wealth) is absolutely added accessory to beatitude and ataraxia than aggravating to “keep up with the Joneses”? If you said “yes,” again are you already demography measures to alive in the Epicurean manner?
Chapter 5: St. Thomas Aquinas
4. How would St. Thomas avert himself (if, indeed, such a aegis is possible) adjoin the allegation of actuality “homophobic” (a chat that did not exist in his time, but which is adequately accepted today)? Would you acquisition his defense plausible? Why or why not?
5. If one is not at all religious, is it still accessible to booty St. Thomas’ accustomed law principle seriously? Could it still be relied aloft as a adviser to active well? Explain.
Chapter 6: Thomas Hobbes
6. Do you anticipate that actuality egoistic is a bad thing? If so, why? If not, why not?
7. Compare Christ’s Golden Rule with Hobbes’ Golden Rule. Which do you think is added able in accepting bodies to obey the laws, and why?
8. Do you accede with Hobbes that our accustomed action is one of lawlessness and violence? How do you anticipate you would behave if you knew you could get abroad with whatever you capital to? Do we alone obey the laws out of abhorrence of punishment?
Order a unique copy of this paper