The capacity covered chronicle to actual from Lesson 10: Amusing Attitude (Chapter 12). Accept from one of the three options below.
Option A: Thoughts on Race, Ethnicity and Culture
This folio contains an array of springboards for you to dive into a altercation of prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination. This is an activity in self-reflection. Accede your own claimed history. Acknowledge to at atomic 5 (or more) of the afterward questions in a 2-3 folio paper:
1. Is it accessible to be chargeless of prejudice? Accept you anytime met anyone who was?
2. Are you prejudiced? If so, what are some contempo instances in which you behaved in a biased way? If not, how do you apperceive that you're not prejudiced?
3. If you've behaved in a biased way, what acquired the prejudice, and what ability abate it? How did alternative bodies acknowledge to your behavior?
4. If a abutting associate or ancestors affiliate were to accomplish a biased comment, would you protest? Why or why not? What about a drifter or associate -- would you acknowledge in that situation?
5. If you were to accomplish a biased animadversion at a affair or amid a accumulation of friends, would your accompany say something?
6. Does the analysis of bodies consistently aftereffect in prejudice? What about allocation bodies in a absolute way -- does that aftereffect in prejudice?
7. Are stereotypes anytime a adequate thing? Accept you anytime approved to get bodies to average you, either absolutely or negatively?
8. Does the actual analysis of bodies -- for example, as female, a academy student, African-American, or Texan -- necessarily rob them of individuality?
9. At a cerebral level, what are the accepted denominators that articulation all forms of prejudice?
10. In general, which forms of ageism assume to be crumbling over time, and which forms assume to be constant or increasing?
11. Describe the ancient anamnesis you accept of an acquaintance with a actuality or bodies of a racial, ethnic, or cultural accumulation altered from your own..
12. Who or what has had the best access in the accumulation of your attitudes and opinions about bodies of altered racial, ethnic, and/or cultural groups? In what way?
13. What influences in your acquaintance accept led to the development of absolute animosity about your own ancestry and background?
14. What influences in your acquaintance accept led to the development of abrogating feelings, if any, about your own ancestry or background?
15. What changes, if any, would you like to accomplish in your own attitudes or adventures in affiliation to bodies of alternative racial, ethnic, or cultural groups?
16. Describe an acquaintance in your own activity back you feel you were discriminated adjoin for any reason.
17. How do you feel you should accord with (or not accord with) issues of racial, ethnic, and cultural assortment in American society?
18. Which forms of ageism are best socially acceptable, and which are atomic acceptable? Why are some forms added adequate than others?
19. When, if ever, is it best to abide colorblind to chase and ethnicity? When, if ever, is it best to bless multicultural differences? Do the goals of colorblindenss and multiculturalism battle with anniversary other?
20. What do you anticipate the best difficult aspect is of actuality a racial, ethnic, or religious boyhood member? What is the best difficult aspect of actuality a majority accumulation member?
21. Who or what has had the best access in the accumulation of your attitudes and opinions about bodies of altered racial, ethnic, and/or cultural groups? In what way?
Discussion capacity taken from the afterward web site: http://www.understandingprejudice.org/
Paul Pedersen. 110 adventures for multicultural acquirements (pp. 240–241). Copyright 2004. Reprinted by permission of the American Cerebral Association.
Option B: Accidental Act of Kindness
In aboriginal 1993, Assistant Chuck Wall of Bakersfield Academy was alert to the radio back the anchorperson said, "We accept addition accidental act of absurd abandon to address (Huggins, 2010, para. 4). According to Assistant Wall, back he heard that phrase, he anon took out the chat "violence" and replaced it with the chat "kindness" (as cited in Huggins, 2010, para.6). In chic that afternoon, he asked his acceptance to address bottomward the week's assignment: "Today I will accomplish one accidental act of absurd kindness" (as cited in Huggins, 2010, para. 7).
Professor Wall shares that his acceptance were abashed by this appointment and asked him to explain the acceptation of kindness. Instead he acclimatized they amount it out for themselves. Here are some of the student's stories:
Shane Gautreaux, 20, had broadcast blankets he'd bought from the Salvation Army to a accumulation of abandoned bodies who lived under Bakersfield's Beale Street overpass.
Lisa Holiman, 28, had rescued a ragged devious collie, bathed and fed it, again put up posters aggravating to acquisition the dog's owners. One day later, the collie was reclaimed.
Jo Marshall, 55 and afresh afar afterwards 37 years of marriage, set abreast her acrimony at her then-out-of-work above bedmate and counseled him on how to access an addendum on his unemployment benefits.
And Jessica Fredericksen, 41, committed conceivably the ultimate act of generosity: Spying a harried motorist ambit the apprentice parking lot, she pulled out of the amplitude she had aloof taken and coiled him in. (as cited in Huggins, 2010, para. 11)
From that one chic assignment, an all-embracing movement was spawned. Sally Radmacher (1997) letters that her acceptance both adore and apprentice abundant from assuming a accidental act of kindness. She acclimatized the afterward activity:
Perform a accidental act of affection for someone. Afterwards assuming your act of kindness, address a 2-3 folio cardboard anecdotic the act in detail, the recipient’s reaction, and your own reaction. Incorporate concepts from the argument apropos to pro-social activity (See pages 712-714). Additionally, accede why some recipients ability accept a abrogating acknowledgment to accepting help. Post your cardboard in as an adapter in MS Word.
Huggins, J. S. (2010). Accidental acts of kindness. Retrieved from http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/mot1/random_acts_of_kindness.htm
Radmacher, S. (1997, January 19). Amusing attitude projects. Teaching in the cerebral sciences (TIPS Online Altercation Group).
Option C: Actionable Norms
When we breach the accepted rules for acclimatized amusing behavior, we bound apprentice the hasty ability of alike almost accessory and usually airy amusing norms. The purpose of this appointment is to accomplish you acquainted of how these attenuate norms appearance our accustomed behavior and the after-effects of actionable norms, and to accord you an abstraction of how cerebral analysis on barometer violations is conducted.
Choose any 2 of the afterward behaviors:
Cut into the average of a band by yourself; break in band for at atomic 2 minutes
Ask addition you don't apperceive for his/her bench in a accessible place (e.g., at the cafeteria, on the bus, in a cine theater, in the library, etc.); break in the bench for at atomic 2 minutes.
Surprise 3 of your same-sex accompany with a kiss on the cheek.
Applaud at the end of a chic afterwards the assistant is done lecturing
Before one of your classes begins, go about the classroom and agitate easily with at atomic 8 people; say "good morning (afternoon)" to them or use alternative words to acceptable them to chic today. You could additionally do article agnate on an elevator.
Have an activated chat with yourself in public
Yell or buzz back you talk
At your parents' home ask for permission to do everything (get a drink, use the bathroom, watch TV, etc.)
Violate someone's claimed space. For example, angle right abutting to addition in the elevator back you are the alone two bodies in it.
Wear your clothes backwards to work, class, or addition public abode like the capital or grocery store
Get on an elevator and angle adverse the back; or get on an elevator and acquaint yourself to bodies as they get on and acquaint them goodbye back they get off.
Eat with your easily in a restaurant, cafeteria, aliment court, etc. (Typical feel foods- fries, cookies, pizza, burgers, etc. don't count).
Sing out loud in a accessible place; or sing all responses to a chat with a associate or sing your adjustment in a fast aliment restaurant.
Stand on a armchair in a restaurant and recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
Eat of alternative people's plates
Walk about the capital with an accessible umbrella.
Position yourself six inches from an acquaintance's nose during a conversation
Supply your own account for actionable norms- charge be approved by assistant first.
Before, during, and afterwards your 2 altered barometer violations, mentally observe: your own reactions (thoughts, feelings, concrete responses, behavior); the reactions of the bodies about you (your accompany may advice you beam others' reactions -- and your accompany ability accept reactions of their own that are interesting!)
After actionable the amusing norms, you may acquaint the bodies about you WHY you were acting this way.
In a 2-3 folio paper, do anniversary of the following:
1. Describe what 2 amusing norms you abandoned and how you went about accomplishing so; acutely analyze what factors fabricated it decidedly accessible or difficult for you to breach the norms.
2. Describe your own and others' reactions before, during, and afterwards anniversary violation. Describe how the axiological allegation absurdity played a role in your situations.
3. What did the acquaintance of actionable norms advise you about the ability of the situation? What did it advise you about the adventures of bodies who don't "fit in" because they are new to our ability or are bedridden in some way?
4. If you were appropriate to breach amusing norms on a circadian basis, how do you anticipate that would change your reactions to violations as a violator or as an eyewitness or violations?
-This appointment acclimatized from Dr. Sherri Lantinga, Dordt College.
*Regardless of which advantage you choose, the cardboard should be bifold spaced, accommodate folio calculation and accept an APA formatted appellation page, in-text citations and advertence page. You do not charge an abstract.
For advice with APA formatting for appellation page, citations, and advertence folio see the following:
APA Sample Paper
Order a unique copy of this paper