Can embryonic stem cells be used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease?
Current treatments of Parkinson’s ache (PD) abide symptomatic, for archetype Levadopa, and after-effects in a cardinal of abrogating ancillary furnishings afterwards a advancing aeon of time. However, investigations into application beastly alpha axis (ES) beef to accomplish dopaminergic neurons authority huge abeyant for approaching treatments. After-effects appearance several patients accretion an added allotment of dopaminergic neural accumulation in the substantia nigra afterward transplantations of neural corpuscle grafts into the striatum. This suggests that grafts can work, although another studies appearance some patients abort to appearance improvements. There is additionally the accident of the accumulation of teratomas and teratocarcinomas in post-operative subjects, due to the self-renewal characteristics of the axis cells. Despite a cardinal of studies proving that application beastly alpha axis beef could be a reliable adjustment of treatment, there are still a cardinal of issues unresolved. Since the majority of abstracts accept taken abode on primates, it is capricious to accept that the aforementioned after-effects would action in beastly trials. There are additionally a cardinal of ethical issues such as antibacterial the ‘potential beastly life’ of an antecedent which, in several cases, is attached the assay and progression of new methods of treatment.
Parkinson’s ache is a accelerating degenerative ache of the substantia nigra, consistent in the burning of dopamine in the striatum and the accumulation of protein bundles accepted as lewy bodies (1); such burning of dopamine after-effects in motor affection of which patients with PD present with, including comatose agitation (2, 3). At present, the best accepted anatomy of assay for PD is Levadopa; however, it is abandoned accustomed already adapted and is anticipation that its capability decreases over time (1). Investigations into the assay of PD involving the use of alpha axis beef to accomplish dopaminergic neurons for transplantation into the academician is currently in advance and this assay is activity to attending at the affairs and issues that the use of beastly alpha axis beef may accompany about. (4).
What are beastly alpha axis cells?
Human ES beef are unspecialised and can differentiate into a ambit of beef via corpuscle division, in this case the best important actuality dopaminergic neurons (5). Beastly ES beef are generated from the pre-implantation date of an embryo, a blastocyst, and can accumulate rapidly, breeding ample numbers of beef (5, 6). This suggests there could be abundant to accommodate acceptable amounts of DA neurons for analytic procedures. ES beef are taken from the eggs that accept been fertilised in vitro, provided by consented donors (7, 8).
How are beastly alpha axis beef actuality acclimated to accomplish dopaminergic neurons?
ES beef are actuality acclimated to aftermath tyrosine hydroxylase absolute neurons by culturing, amplification and adverse (fig 1). ES corpuscle colonies are called abandoned and developed in agar plates acceptance for embryoid bodies to develop. Embryoid bodies are again added able in a average absolute Fibroblast Advance Factor-2 (FGF-2) for seven days. A cardinal of corpuscle masses in bond formations (figure 2b), akin neural tube structures, were empiric aural the embryoid bodies (6).
Figure 1: Breeding Dopaminergic neurons (12).
Neural precursors showed announcement of ‘nestin and musashi’, markers for neural antecedent beef (4): they act as a anatomy of labelling anecdotic specific beef (9): Afterwards FGF-2, no rosettes of alike accumulation grew (6). Back all-around neural masses formed afterwards 14 canicule (figure 2a), it was acclaimed that they could advance and accumulate for over 120 days, accouterment affirmation that there would be all-inclusive numbers of beef accessible for assay (4).14 canicule is a abbreviate aeon of time tells us how able this adjustment of neuron bearing is.
Figure 2: A – time in culture. B- ES corpuscle colonies (10).
One abstraction (10) begin that the cardinal of tyrosine hydroxylase-positive beef generated by neural masses was actual baby (5.4% +/- 1.8%) and to access these figures, looked at the furnishings of advance factors and how they adapted adverse in culture. Back FGF2 and FGF20 were present, percentages of TH+ beef added by 18.6%; however, neither advance factors abandoned had such an effect. Already able in a adverse medium, neural masses showed physiological characteristics of neurons accouterment affirmation that adverse was in progress. (4).
What affirmation is there to advance that beastly alpha axis beef may be acclimated as an another assay for Parkinson’s disease?
Several studies (4, 5, 11) adduce that beastly ES beef are able to auspiciously aftermath dopaminergic neurons and abatement the affection of PD back grafted into the brain. One abstraction (10) experimented on a abbey archetypal with an induced anatomy of PD and advised as to whether the abandoned TH+ neurons were able to action as dopaminergic neurons. The neurospheres developed from ES beef were grafted into the putamen of monkeys, abandoned of which started to appearance signs of PD and whose altitude had attenuated above a aeon of 12 weeks. Afterwards transplantation, the behaviour of the primates was empiric and analysed application MRI scanning. 10 weeks following, acoustic array of the primates added decidedly in allegory to the ascendancy models. Accepting a ascendancy enables a clearer assay to booty place, and analyze audible improvements in the primates’ behaviours.
A agnate assay (11) performed mutual implants on 61 patients into the putamen. Back attractive at fluorodopa PET scans 12 months post-surgery, 85% of patients presented with neural accumulation advance and showed physiological improvements. However, one abstraction (9) suggests that the aftereffect for anniversary alone is not assertive to accretion the aforementioned result, because processes such as apoptosis are clumsy to be controlled, consistent in corpuscle afterlife aural canicule afterwards transplantation: this presents in scans as a abridgement of fluorodopa uptake, suggesting a ambit of corpuscle survival. It is anticipation that if advised with neurotrophic factors afore surgery, it could advance corpuscle adaptation (11).
Comparing the two studies (10, 11), both after-effects showed able improvements, emphasising that although one abstraction (10) was on primates, and the additional (11) complex humans, both abstracts acquired a agnate absolute result. However, this point could be argued as the abbey was induced with PD rather than developing the accelerating ache naturally.
Analysis of added than one balloon (11, 12) has adumbrated that the acknowledgment to transplantation could appearance a absolute alternation alongside the patients’ adeptness to auspiciously acknowledge to L-dopa above-mentioned to the operation, as able-bodied as the patients’ date of disease. One abstraction (12) presented that if a accommodating denticulate lower that 50 on the unified Parkinson’s calibration afore surgery, again they were added acceptable to accretion a absolute aftereffect from the transplant. Some may say that for the assay to be appreciated, it shouldn’t amount what date the accommodating is at back accepting the transplant, and that it should assignment at all stages of the disease, although as accurate with diseases such as cancer, this is not consistently possible.
As able-bodied as added F-dopa uptake, a studies on animals (13, 14) empiric rotational behaviour in acknowledgment to amphetamine afore and afterwards surgery. After-effects showed a abatement in the array of the animals accustomed the graft, whilst adulterated controls showed no advance (figure 3). One abstraction (13) was again on 4 occasions beyond a 9 anniversary aeon and connected to appearance bit-by-bit reduction. This provides affirmation that the affix was alpha to advance dopaminergic neuron function, as motor functions were assuming cogent improvements (14).
Figure 3: Rotational behaviour array (13)
Another abstraction (12) says that neurons generated from the beef of aboriginal aborted embryos are able to survive back crude into the striatum and balance the accident of action by 10-40%, by abating dopamine assembly in the grafted breadth (15). However, such after-effects may be capricious in account to beastly transplants as these studies were performed on rats and monkeys, of which the ache was induced by creating careful lesions. Such lesions are, therefore, in a altered action compared to accustomed lesions begin in the academician of a accommodating with accelerating PD (9).
Transplants are anticipation to accept decreased the accident of dyskinesias, a side-effect of levodopa; however, this has mostly abandoned been accurate in rats and monkeys. In addition, a cardinal of patients accept been able to stop application levodopa completely, although this is not a approved occurrence. On the contrary, a cardinal of capacity accept been acclaimed accepting developed off dyskinesias: 7-15% of grafted patients (5). It is anticipation that this is bottomward to the actuality that the neurons are clumsy to action properly; this could be due to the overproduction of dopamine in the striatum (12). If there are after-effects afterwards transplantation, of the aforementioned severity as antecedent to the transplant, is it account assuming the operation?
How are the generated neurons crude into the patientWhat are the issues with this?
Grafts are injected into the academician whilst beneath anesthesia (16) and, as with all surgery, poses risks such as haemorrhage and infection (15). To minimise this, the cardinal of aggravate passes is kept to a minimum. This was approved in added than one case (9, 11, 15) area the all-overs were anesthetized through the advanced of the head, through to the putamen bilaterally application a absolute of 4 all-overs (figure 4). In one abstraction (16), 8 aggravate passes were used, however, this had no damage to the aftereffect of the transplants, both accomplishing regeneration. ES beef themselves additionally affectation risks. With characteristics such as pluripotency and self-renewal, axis beef accept the abeyant to anatomy teritomas and teratocarcinomas which, at present, is one of the greatest risks; afterwards alive that they won’t form, transplatation of beastly ES beef will cease to be able (17).
Figure 4: MRI and PET scans assuming F-DOPA uptake and aggravate passes (8).
In adjustment for this adjustment to be successful, such characteristics of the beef charge to be able to be controlled, and by accomplishing so, will abate the likelihood of teramtomas forming. Nonetheless, beastly ES beef advance a accustomed karyotype and, therefore, these growths are not anticipation to be of the cancerous array (5). Despite this, there is affirmation to advance that teratomas formed from the transplantation of aboriginal or bearding neurons into the brain, can advance to abridged motor account in models of PD (18).
In the majority of studies, patients were accustomed immunosuppressive assay afore anaplasty to anticipate rejection. The biologic Cyclosporin was given, however, the advance of the assay varied, clashing amid 2 canicule to 2 weeks (8, 11, 19). In such cases, back the immunosuppressive medication was aloof post-operatively, there was no affirmation of abridgement in f-dopa uptake, suggesting that the affix was activity appropriately (19). One abstraction (9) claims that immunosuppressive assay is not bare back the affix is kept aural the aforementioned species.
What ethical issues are there with application beastly alpha axis cells?
One catechism that will abide to be brought up in commendations to embryos is ‘at what date is the antecedent a beastly life?’ One book (20)suggests that for assay on an antecedent to commence, abreast accord charge be accustomed as abounding bodies accept that the blastocyst has the abeyant to be a beastly being. However, because an antecedent is amateur of accomplishing so, again the assay cannot booty abode and, if it did, again it is anticipation that it would be akin the embryos adapted or abeyant to life. Despite this, the use of axis beef acquired from blastocysts continues to booty abode (20).Opinions alter and abounding of those who article to the use of embryos are accountable to religious views: it is not necessarily a claimed assessment but a amount of assumption as to who has the adapted to actuate activity or death.
One way of presenting the abstraction of application ES beef to those ethically adjoin is by accustomed out a account to accident ratio, belief up the pros and cons of the situation. One altercation (21) emphasises abeyant abatement of symptoms, and the abandonment of pharmacological treatment. It could not abandoned account the subject, but additionally access those afflicted alongside by PD. Opposing to this are the risks of tumour formations and infection both during and afterwards surgery, forth with bounce by the allowed system.
With ethical issues in mind, Parthenogenesis has provided an another way of anticipation pluripotent axis beef afterwards damaging embryos, preventing the abolition of abeyant life. Asexual reproduction of sex beef could be the avenue to breeding all-inclusive amounts of pluripotent axis beef adapted for transplantation, afterwards the ethical issues that we face today (18).
Looking at the affirmation provided, it is applicable to achieve that the use of beastly ES beef to aftermath dopaminergic neurons for transplantation into the academician has abeyant for approaching treatments. However, at present, studies are clumsy to accommodate accurate affirmation that this another assay is affirmed to assignment on a all-embracing basis, as there is yet to be a abiding alternation of bigger academician action post-operative. Alongside this, there will abide to be a cardinal of ethical arguments adjoin the abstraction with account to application beastly embryos as the antecedent of axis cells, although, as discussed previously, another methods of breeding axis beef such as parthenogenesis could be the acknowledgment to this. A greater adeptness of how the beef are appropriate and accepting the adeptness to accretion ascendancy of this would accommodate a abundant bigger anticipation for the approaching antecedents of alpha dopamine corpuscle transplantation. With greater assay and added able results, the use of beastly ES beef to accomplish dopaminergic neurons could accommodate an able adjustment of assay in the abreast future, which could advance to the acknowledged apology of accustomed academician function.
(1) Schapira, A.V.H., 1991. Parkinson’s Disease. Science, Anesthetic and the future, 318, pp.311-314
(2) Chinta, S.J., Andersen, J.K., 2005. Corpuscle focus in Dopaminergic Neurons. The International Journal of Biochemistry & Corpuscle Biology, 37, pp. 942–946
(3) Zigmond, M.J., Burke, R.E., Pathophysiology of Parkinson’s disease. Neurpharmacology: the fifth bearing of progress, 123, pp.1782
(4) Soo Cho, M., Lee, Y.E., Kim, J.Y., Chung, S., Cho, Y.H., Kim, D.S., Kang, S.M., Lee, H., Kim, M.H., Kim, J.H., Leem, J.W., Oh, S.K., Choi, Y.M., Hwang, D.Y., Chang, J.W., Kim, D.W., 2008. High Able and all-embracing bearing of anatomic dopamine neurons from beastly alpha axis cells. PNAS, 105, pp3392-3397
(5) Wainwright, S.P., 2005. Can axis beef cure Parkinson’s disaeaseEmbryonic accomplish against a adorning academician medicine. British Journal of Neuroscience nursing, 1(3), pp.110-115
(6) Zhang, S.C., Wernig, M., Duncan, I.D., Brustle, O., Thomson, J.A., 2001. In vitro adverse of transplantable neural precursors from beastly alpha axis cells. Nature, 19
(8) Mendez, I., Sanchez-Pernaute, R., Cooper, O., Vinuela, A., Ferrari, D., Bjorklund, L., Dagher, A., Isacson, O., 2005. Corpuscle blazon assay of anatomic fetal dopamine corpuscle abeyance transplants in the striatum and substantia nigra of patients with Parkinson’s disease. Brain, 128, pp. 1498-1510
(9) Bjorklund, A,. Dunnett, S.B., Brundin, P., Stoessl, A.J., Freed, C.R., Breeze, R.E., Levivier, M., Peschanski, M., Studer, L., Barker, R., 2003. Neural transplantation for the assay of Parkinson’s disease. The Lancet Neurology, 2, pp.437-445
(10) Takagi, Y., Takahashi, J., Saiki, H., Morizane, A., Hayashi, T., Kishi, Y., Fukuda, H., Okamoto, Y., Koyanagi, M., Ideguchi, M., Hayshi, H., Imazoto, T., Kawasaka, H., Suemori, H., Omachi, S., Iida, H., Itoh, N., Nakatsuji, N., Sasai, Y., Hashimoto, N., 2005. Dopaminergic neurons generated from monkey alpha axis beef action in a Parkinson abbey model. The Journal of Analytic Investigation, 115(1), pp.102-109
(11) Freed, C.R., Leehey, M.A., Zawada, M., Bjugstad, K., Thompson, L., Breeze, R.E., 2003. Do patients with Parkinson’s ache account from alpha dopamine corpuscle transplantationJ Neurol, 3, pp.44-46
(12) Isacson, O., 2003. The assembly and use of beef as ameliorative agents in neurodegenerative disease. The Lancet Neurology, 2, pp.417-424
(13) Bjorklund, L.M., Sanchez-Pernaute, R,. Chung, S., Anderson, T., Yin Ching Chen, I., McNaught, K.S.P, Brownell, A.L., Jenkins, B.G., Wahlestedt, C., Kim, K.S., Isacson, O., 2002. Alpha axis beef advance into anatomic dopaminergic neurons afterwards transplantation in a Parkinson rat model. PNAS, 99 (4), pp.2344-2349
(14) Kim, J.H., Auerbach, J.M., Rodriguez-Gomez, J.A., Velasco, I., Gavin, D., Lumelsky, N., Lee, S.H., Nguyen, J., Sanchez-Pernaute, R., Bankiewicz, K., McKay, R., 2002. Dopamine neurons acquired from alpha axis beef action in an beastly archetypal of Parkinson’s disease. Nature, 418, pp.50-56
(15) Freed, C.R., Greene, P.E., Breeze, R.E, Tsai, W.Y., DuMouchel, W., Kao, R., Dillon, S., Winfield, H., Culver, S., Trojanowski, J.Q., Eidelberg, D., Fahn, S., 2001. Transplantation of Alpha dopamine neurons for astringent Parkinson’s disease. The New England Journal of Medicine, 344 (10), pp.710-719
(16) Olanow, C.W., Goetz, C.G., Kordower, J.H., Stoessl, A.J., Sossi, V., Brin, M.F., Shannon, K.M., Nauert, M., Perl, D.P., Godbold, J., Freeman, T.B., 2003. Double-blind controlled balloon of mutual fetal nigral transplantation in Parkinson’s disease. Ann Neurol, 54, pp.403-414
(17) Wu, D.C., Boyd, A.S., Wood, K.J., 2007. Alpha axis corpuscle transplantation: abeyant account in corpuscle backup assay and adorning medicine. Frontiers in Bioscience, 12, pp.4525-4535
(18) Sanchez-Pernaute, R., Lee, H., Patterson, M., Reske-Nielsen, C., Toshizaki, T., Sonntag, K.C., Studer, L., Isacson, O.,2008. Parthenogenetic dopamine neurons from abbey alpha axis beef restore action in beginning Parkinson’s disease. Brain, 131, pp.2127-2139
(19) Piccini, P., Pavese, N., Hagell, P., Remier, J., Bjorklund, A., Oertel, W.H., Quinn, N.P., Brooks, D.J., Lindvall, O., 2005. Factors affecting the analytic aftereffect afterwards neural transplantation in Parkinson’s disease. Brain, 128, pp.2977-2986
(20) Cusine, D.J., 1991. Experimentation: some acknowledged aspects. Abstracts on Embryos, (editors Anthony, D. Harris, J) pp.120. Routledge: London
(21) Master, Z., McLeod, M., Mendez, I,. 2007. Benefits, risks and ethical considerations in adaptation of axis corpuscle assay to analytic applications in Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Medical Ethics, 33, pp.169-173
(7) National Institute of Health. Axis Corpuscle Basics. [online] Accessible at: [Accessed 9th March 2011].
Title page: Accessible at: [Accessed 21st March 2011]
Figure 1 (12) – Isacson, O., 2003. The assembly and use of beef as ameliorative agents in neurodegenerative disease. The Lancet Neurology, 2, pp.417-424
Figure 2 (10) – Takagi, Y., Takahashi, J., Saiki, H., Morizane, A., Hayashi, T., Kishi, Y., Fukuda, H., Okamoto, Y., Koyanagi, M., Ideguchi, M., Hayshi, H., Imazoto, T., Kawasaka, H., Suemori, H., Omachi, S., Iida, H., Itoh, N., Nakatsuji, N., Sasai, Y., Hashimoto, N., 2005. Dopaminergic neurons generated from monkey alpha axis beef action in a Parkinson abbey model. The Journal of Analytic Investigation, 115(1), pp.102-109
Figure 3 (13) – Bjorklund, L.M., Sanchez-Pernaute, R,. Chung, S., Anderson, T., Yin Ching Chen, I., McNaught, K.S.P, Brownell, A.L., Jenkins, B.G., Wahlestedt, C., Kim, K.S., Isacson, O., 2002. Alpha axis beef advance into anatomic dopaminergic neurons afterwards transplantation in a Parkinson rat model. PNAS, 99 (4), pp.2344-2349
Figure 4 (8) – Mendez, I., Sanchez-Pernaute, R., Cooper, O., Vinuela, A., Ferrari, D., Bjorklund, L., Dagher, A., Isacson, O., 2005. Corpuscle blazon assay of anatomic fetal dopamine corpuscle abeyance transplants in the striatum and substantia nigra of patients with Parkinson’s disease. Brain, 128, pp. 1498-1510
Order a unique copy of this paper